Right to Roam in Perth and Kinross

Outdoor access rights and responsibilities

Perthshire offers many opportunities to get out and enjoy the outdoors, to walk, cycle, ride or paddle down rivers or sail around lochs, but as the countryside is also a home and workplace to people and wildlife it is important that we understand our responsibilities and behave in a way which does not cause damage or annoyance to others. Equally, land managers have to manage their land and water responsibly in relation to access rights…

The Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 gives duties and powers to Councils and National Parks as Access Authorities with regard to outdoor access, and as such we have dedicated some webpages to answering Access Rights questions, such as:

  • Is all land covered by access rights?
  • Where can I go to enjoy the countryside without disturbing anyone who lives or works there?
  • Do I have the right to walk, cycle or ride in an area which belongs to someone else?
  • Do I need to pay attention to notices telling me to ‘keep out’?
  • What can I do if I’m prevented from exercising my right of responsible access by an obstruction, such as a locked gate, intimidating sign or person?
  • Can an exemption be made to remove the legal right of public access from an area?
  • Where can I find out more information about my rights?

Why not visit some of the links below to find out more about Access Rights in Scotland and for a fantastic reminder of just how fortunate we are in Scotland to have this legislation in place.

Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 – Part One

Scottish Outdoor Access Code – Part 2 Access rights

Outdoor Access Scotland.com