On the 6th of September I was set on a journey through to MaCrosty Park in Crieff to help out Alan with the Green Routes to wellbeing. Unfortunately due to the poor weather Green Routes had to be called off.
Despite the weather Alan and I decided to soldier on and started to work on this over grown lade. Although the lade had started to look like more of a jungle than a lade we managed to get quite a lot of work done and managed to get the lade water back to a good flow.
Although the weather was quite miserable I really enjoyed the day.
The Perth Lade Action Day
Trimming, Weeding and Litterpicking
Friday 26th October 2018- 2pm – 4pm
Please meet at the Stanley Crescent Play Area at 1.45pm.
Refreshments will be provided.
All equipment will be provided, please ensure you wear sturdy shoes/boots and clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty and are weather appropriate.
Please come join us we would love to see you there.
If you are attending please contact Kirsty Scott on (01738) 476476
Photo: Richard Wilkins
Photo: Richard Wilkins
Community Greenspace Partnership Officer Kirsty Scott is currently supporting 15 partnership projects throughout the Perth and Kinross area. One of these projects is the improvement of Perth Lade. Since starting work on the project in early summer 2017 we have achieved the following:
- Removed dangerous trees and self-seeders and cut back branches effecting the street lighting,
- Worked with the City of Perth Early Childhood Centre to design posters for a no littering/dog fouling campaign. We also carried out planting of a bed at Rae Place, Perth with the pre-school group.
- Vegetation clearance and litter removal has been carried out in the lade (we are governed by SEPA on the quantity and methods of removal)
- Where required the fencing along some parts has been replaced and repaired.
- Planted bulbs with Tulloch Blooming Lade, which will bring year on year colour to the area.
- Tulloch Blooming lade carry out litter picks in the Tulloch area – they do have a Facebook page where you can view some of their work.
- We provide groups with litter picks and gardening tools.
- Working with Community Payback to arrange graffiti removal and the painting of railings.
- We hosted our ‘Lade Action Day‘ on the 26 October 2017 with Balfour Beatty, PKC Operations Team and community volunteers from Beautiful Perth and other local groups.
Looking to the future we will be hosting our annual ‘Lade Action Day’ on Friday 26 October 2018. Kirsty will also be working with Tulloch Primary School focusing on the lade improvements/history of the lade.
We are delighted with the work and progress so far and believe that this is the beginning of a great community partnership.
While our Operations team and community volunteers do a great job, they are often faced with reoccurring litter, fly-tipping and vandalism. While we are committed to working on this with the resources we have available, we are reliant on the support and involvement of those who ‘love the lade’.
for more information, or to get involved. please contact Kirsty Scott or Joanna Dick (Perth Greenspace Ranger) through our contacts page